Wednesday 15 January 2014

Jam Making


Hello Lovelies, 
This weekend as well as going for a family walk I spent some time with Momma Bear making jam. 
This is the first time that either of us have made jam, I was so excited. 
We used the Kilner equipment that I had been given for my birthday. 
After looking through my book we decided that we would make apricot jam, we bought the ingredients that we needed. 
Apricots and sugar, luckily the apricots were on offer, we needed 900g of each.  
All jars that we used we sterilised by washing them and then drying them at 160 degrees in the oven for 10 minutes.

 The first step was to cut the apricots in half and remove the pips. I was so tempted to eat some but we only just had enough, they just looked so tasty.  
We cut the apricots into smaller pieces,  then added 150ml of water and simmered the fruit down by 1/3. 


                                        






The next step was to add the sugar, 900g is ALOT of sugar, our little scales needed filling twice. 
The sugar was then added to the fruit, the ingredients were then boiled to 105 degrees. This seemed to take forever. 













Once the ingredients reached 105 degrees we used the funnel to pour the jam into the sterilised  jars, the funnel really helped I think the jam would have ended up everywhere without it. If you are doing this at home please be really careful because the jar and the jam are extremely hot.  




 We placed a wax seal on top of the jam to prevent any bacteria getting to it and left it to cool. Whilst waiting for it to cool we made lemon curd, I believe Momma Bear will be blogging this so go and check it out at Two Bones and a Bagel 
When the jam was cool a cellophane seal was placed on top of the jar with an elastic band to keep it secure. 
The jam is currently sat in my cupboard waiting to be opened. 
For a first attempt at jam making I don't think we did too bad, I hope this has been helpful if you are planning on making your own jam. 
If anyone has any interesting recipes or questions about this post please leave a comment I would love to hear from you. 
Thanks for the read. 

xx











No comments:

Post a Comment